Black Widow is one of the playable characters in Marvel’s Avengers. This guide will breakdown her entire skill tree and explain all of her abilities as she levels up. Marvel’s Avengers is a new take on the comic book heroes by Crystal Dynamics. While the characters have found mainstream appeal in the last decade due to the release of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films, a major title has yet to be released to cover their stories in the gaming world. Spider-Man PS4 was a huge hit when it released, leaving many excited for more potential superhero video games with higher quality. In Marvel’s Avengers, players will be able to level up their characters and give them better gear and pick paths for their skill trees. Here’s the entire skill tree of Black Widow broken down with explanations of all of her abilities.
Skill trees have been constant in video games for generations. Mainly in RPGs, players are allowed to apply the points they earn as they level up to specific weapons, attributes, or abilities. This gives games plenty of replay value, since depending on how the player decides to level up their characters skill tree, it can completely change how the game feels for each playthrough. Players will need to make the tough decisions to figure out what abilities they wish to harness as they get through the game. Fortunately, this guide will explain every ability in Black Widow’s skill tree.
Black Widow’s skill tree can be broken off into four different paths. Here’s what players can expect when leveling up the first skill tree.
- Martial Art – Light Attack – Press square/X to lash out with various hand-to-hand attacks. Rapidly press square five times to combo a series of light attacks that inflict increasing damage. The last hit of the combo is a light combo finisher that inflicts significant damage.
- Pounce – Aerial Light Attack – Press square/X while in midair to execute a diving kick attack. Rapidly press square/x three times while airborne to combo a series of rapid kicks that ends in an overhead flip attack.
- Spider Sweep – Signature Attack – Hold square/X to execute a dexterous sweeping kick that knocks down enemies, making them vulnerable to additional attacks.
- Cyclone Kick – Light Dodge Attack – Press square/X quickly after dodging to execute a whirling kick.
- Splinter Kick – Light Sprint Attack – Press square/X while sprinting to perform a swift kick that spins enemies, leaving them vulnerable to follow up attacks.
- Night Stick – Heavy Attack – Press triangle/Y to perform a heavy attack. Rapidly press triangle/Y three times to execute a combo of heavy attacks that inflict increasingly more stun damage. The last hit of the combo is a Heavy Combo Finisher that inflicts significant damage.
- Spinning Fury – Aerial Heavy Attack – Press triangle/Y in midair to perform a spinning baton attack that knocks enemies to the ground.
- Back Alley Gambit – Heavy Dodge Attack – Press triangle/Y after dodging to perform a baton slam with long-range reach.
- Impact Grenade – Power Attack – Hold triangle/Y while on the ground to toss an instantly-detonating concussion grenade that can launch nearby enemies into the air.
- Night Watch – Aerial Power Attack – While in midair, hold triangle/Y to perform a heavy baton slam.
- Baton Strike – Heavy Attack Upgrade – Rapidly press square/X four times and triangle/Y once to chain the light attack combo into a heavy combo finisher that slams into the ground and sends targets flying.
- Madripoor Special – Heavy Sprint Attack – Press triangle/Y while sprinting to perform a powerful kick that sends enemies reeling.
- Pistol Shot – Ranged Attack – Hold L2/LT to aim and then press R2/RT to fire dual pistols. Press square while aiming to reload.
- Full-Auto Shot – Ranged Attack – Extended magazine and a full-auto trigger system allow for pistols to be fired at an extremely high rate. Hold L2/LT to aim in, then hold R2/RT to fire a continuous stream of bullets that decrease in accuracy the longer R2/RT is held. Switch to Full-Auto Shots with the left d-pad and right d-pad.
- Bullet Storm – Ranged Power Attack – Hold L2 and R2/LT and RT to charge up a Ranged Power Attack. Release R2/RT once charged to fire a high damage burst of bullets.
- High-Caliber Shot – Ranged Attack – Dual Pistols are swapped out for a single, high-caliber pistol that has considerable stopping power. Hold to L2/LT to aim, then press R2/RT to fire. Switch to high-caliber shots with the left d-pad and right d-pad.
- Rain Maker – Ranged Attack Upgrade – Increases magazine size for Full-Auto Shot pistols by 20 rounds.
- Ammo Overload – Ranged Attack Upgrade – Increases ammo capacity of the pistol magazine by 4 rounds.
- Perforator – Ranged Power Attack – When using high-caliber shot, hold R2/RT to charge up an ionized projectile that pierces through targets, allowing for multiple enemies to be hit with a single shot.
- Stun Rounds – Ranged Attack Upgrade – Increases Stun damage dealt by Full-Auto Shot rounds by 15%.
- Extended Clip – Ranged Attack Upgrade – Increases the maximum ammo capacity of the High-Calibre Shot pistol by 2 shots.
- Polygonal Rifling – Ranged Attack Upgrade – Increases critical attack damage dealt by a High-Calibre Shot by 10%.
- Widow’s Line – Movement Ability – Press X/A while in midair to fire a grappling hook towards nearby ledges or poles. Pole connections trigger a swing while connecting to ledges, which will cause Widow to quickly zip towards them. Valid connection points are indicated with a HUD maker.
- Widow’s Line – Defensive Ability – Press R2/RT to fire the Widow’s Line and quickly zip towards targets. Automatically executes an explosive strike that hits nearby combatants at the end of the attack. Can be performed at close range to counter melee attacks.
- Dodge – Evasion Ability – Press circle/B to Dodge an incoming attack. Dodging just before an incoming attack lands will execute a Perfect Dodge. Quickly press Circle/B again while Dodging to perform a longer distance Evade.
- Power Line – Movement Ability Upgrade – Hold X/A while using Widow’s Line to launch off of ledges and poles with increased force, quickly traveling greater distances.
- Widow’s Sting – Defensive Ability – Press R2/RT just before an incoming attack lands to fire Widow’s Line and successfully Parry the incoming attack, avoiding damage and sending out a forceful explosion that hits enemies in a large radius. Enemies who have been parried will have their impact resistance temporarily reduced, making them easier to interrupt.
- Operative’s Feint – Evasion Ability – Hold circle/B when near an enemy to Vault over the target, leaving them momentarily unable to attack. Hold the left stick towards the desired combatant to Vault over a specific enemy.
- Whiplash – Defensive Ability – After pressing R2/RT to Parry an incoming attack with Widows Line, quickly press Triangle to execute an acrobatic chokehold maneuver that devastates all nearby enemies.
Marvel’s Avengers is going to be a great game to play with friends. Playing as fan-favorites like The Hulk and Thor while also controlling new characters like Ms. Marvel will give a diverse move pool for any assembled team. New characters are also planned to be released in the future as DLC. This will be one of the most fun games to play this year.
Marvel’s Avengers is available on September 4th, 2020 on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Google Stadia.